Understanding a Net Metering bill.

Hydro net metering

Hydro One Net Metering summary page.

Hydro One billing can be a mystery. Here’s what a Hydro One Net metering bill looks like. This bill is for a net metering system that does not produce enough electricity for the home. It can be a smaller system, or not enough roof space. There are 3 pages to the bill. First page is a summary page showing the generation credit(Adjustments), usage (Your New charges), and the balance owing (Total amount you owe).

This is the usage page. At the top it shows Amount of your last bill, like a regular Hydro One bill. “Amount we received on” this date, like a regular bill.

Hydro Net metering usage

Hydro One Net Metering usage page.

Below this is the standard “Electricity used this period”

All the regular charges are below. “New total of your electricity charges” is the usage total.

At the bottom of the page there is the “Generation Credit” “$93.18CR”

This page is your Generation page with what you are getting credited for. It looks like a regular bill but is what Hydro One owes you. “credit” You can see they pay you for all the extra charges.Delivery, Regulatory Charges, Debt Retirement Charge.They back out HST.

Hydro generation

Generation page of a Net Metering Hydro One bill.

The $184.25 is this bills total energy charges from the middle page. Less HST at $21.20 should say minus, it’s taken off.

Standard Supply Service Admin Charge is taken off $.25

Distribution Service Charge should be minus $17.43

Why this amount isn’t $165.82 is still a mystery. This section doesn’t appear to have a lot to do with the bill. I don’t know if it is some kind of internal calculation.

The bottom of this page is back to normal. Simply your credit to be applied to your usage charges.

Posted in News
15 comments on “Understanding a Net Metering bill.
  1. Julian says:

Hi

If I understood the sample bill correctly the generated credits are deducted off the entire bill and not just the electricity consumed. Is this correct?

• Greg Lougheed says:

Yes you are correct.

• Julian Enright says:

Since my previous post I called Hydro One to clarify. I was told that the credits are deducted off of the total electricity used and not the entire bill. As a result, fees such as delivery will still be charged even if the electricity used is zero. This is a disappointment as I was really hoping of completely eliminating my electricity bill and putting that money towards paying off my solar setup. Since I live out in the country my delivery fee is usually greater than the cost of energy I use, so it’s looking like Net Metering might not be for me….

• Greg Lougheed says:

Hi Julian, we can’t say for sure at this point because pricing details are not made fully public until 24 hours before they are implemented. However if they go to full fixed rate delivery then the only way they will be able increase three profit margin would be to bump up the usage rates. We will have to wait and see.

• Greg Lougheed says:

Delivery is made up of multiple charges, there is 1 fixed charge in there. Depending on where you live (population density) it is between $35-$55 per month. This portion can’t be credited back. You must pay this each month. All other charges are deductible. Check out my Net Metering page for more info. I can alway sent you my hydro bill to. It shows the numbers.
          Thanks, Greg

• Michael says:

Hi Greg,
            Would you please email a copynof your net meteing hydro bill with some explanation on how it works? Thank you

• Greg Lougheed says:

Hi Michael, I would be happy to set up an appointment for Greg to meet with you and go over the Net Metering program with you. I will send you an email and you can let me know what works best for you.

Ed

2. Howard James says:

As Hydro one moves toward a totally fixed delivery charge instead of the current fixed + volume charge. If I go Net Metering will I be paying the fixed delivery charge regardless of generation or consumption.

Thanks

• Greg Lougheed says:

Hi Howard, fixed rates on delivery would mean the only way to increase profit would be to increase power rates this means that net metering could still mean a larger savings in the long run over smaller non changing delivery rates.
      However Hydro One will not realease firm new rates until 24 hours before they take effect so we will have to wait and see.

3. Howard James says:

Thankyou for your reply but what I’m trying to find out is what are my ‘ fixed ‘ charges when I go net metering. Please clarify if you can :
    1. Is there an annual meter ‘ rental’ charge ( I heard $600 ). Correct or wrong ?
    2. Is there a monthly ‘ service ‘charge ( I was told $41 /mo. Correct or wrong ?
    3. Do you pay the ‘fixed’ portion of the delivery charge regardless of consumption or amount generated.
    My point in the first post is that it is my understanding thatOEB has decreed that the ‘ fixed’ portion is going to increase while the ‘based on consumption portion’ is to be eliminated so the answer to my #3 is rather important.

• Julian says:

For point number 3, based on the conversation I had with Hydro One, the fixed rate will still be charged regardless of consumption or amount generated. It’s my understanding that even if 100% of your energy consumption came from your solar setup, as long as you are hooked up to the grid you will be charged delivery. If Hydro One moves all of it’s delivery to one fixed rate it might be easier for budgeting, but I’m guessing the new fixed rate would be higher than it is now since the consumption portion will be eliminated. If this is the case, it might make more sense to go one step further and go off the grid, particularly for home owners like me whose delivery fees are consistently higher than actual electrical consumption.

• Greg Lougheed says:

I hope this link helps. It breaks down the delivery charges per month. Click on the link or Copy and paste this into your browser. http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/MyAccount/UnderstandMyBill/Pages/ResidentialDeliveryRates.aspx

4. Ken A Edwards says:

Without the usual H-1 razzle-dazzle, exactly how is the delivery charge calculated on my monthly invoice?